West put 7 past Washington

West Auckland 7-1 Washington 

HAVING crushed high flying Consett on Saturday, West were at full strength again when struggling Washington visited the Wanted Stadium.

West started with the same starting eleven that started on Saturday and it didn’t take long for the hosts to pick up where they left off.

On 11 minutes, right back Denver Morris played an exquisite ball through to Nathan Fisher who rounded Decklan Greenwood in the Washington goal to give West the lead.

Credit to Washington, they fought back well from this early set back and for the next 15 minutes or so held their own, a period which saw the speedy Harry Wood nipping in ahead of West keeper Shane Bland to equalise from the tightest of angles.

Sadly for Washington, that was as good as it got as West found an extra gear and the visitors were overrun.

On 27 minutes, something he has done a lot lately, Dan Parker got on the end of a Adam Mitchell corner and his looping header restored West’s advantage.

Ten minutes later it was 3-1 when Fisher scored his second, courtesy of an Anthony Bell through ball setting him up.

Two minutes later, Fisher returned the compliment, setting up Bell who chips the keeper from just inside the box to make it 4-1.

Fisher duly completed his second hat-trick in four days and fifth this season on 42 minutes as West went in at half time 5-1 to the good.

There was no let up after the break – Fisher should have added his fourth but blazed over from about four yards, and Bell twice pulled shots wide of the keeper’s left post.

Arran Wearmouth extended West’s lead on 51 minutes when the ball came to him 12 yards out, a crisp clean strike made it 6-1.

Fifteen minutes later Adam Mitchell made a darting run into the box and was brought down, ref had no choice but to award a penalty.

Up stepped top scorer Nathan Fisher, who hit it low to the keepers left, but Greenwood was equal to it and kept it out.

A minute later West had the ball in the net again off the post as Anthony Bell scored his second from a tight angle and West’s seventh.

Francis, Wearmouth and Fisher were then withdrawn as Amar Purewal, Michael McKeown and Ben Wood were given a run out, with West concentrating on keeping the ball.

The only setback of the evening was when substitute Ben Wood had to be taken off after picking up an injury on 82 minutes and West finished the game with ten men.

The win moved West up to third in the table, four points behind second place Consett, but with a game in hand.

West:- Bland. Morris. Cobain. Colquhoum. Parker. Dodds. Bell. Francis (Mckeown 70’). Fisher (Purewal 67’). Mitchell. Wearmouth (Wood 74’).

Subs not used:- Wade. Richardson.

Goals:-  Fisher 3 (11’ 36’ 42’). Parker (27’). Bell 2 (38’ 67’). Wearmouth (51’).

Attendance:-  146

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.