Fisher double helps Auckland to Marske double.

West Auckland 3-1 Marske United

A fisher double gives Auckland the double over top place contenders Marske United who have a backlog of games to play within the next few weeks.

Marske are in great form winning 8 out the last 9 league games and drawing the other, their last league defeat coming back in mid November.

The game was never in doubt with the continued rain when all other scheduled grass pitched games are postponed due to waterlogged surfaces. Credit to the ongoing hard work given by all the volunteers.

One change in the starting 11 which were well beaten by RCA on Saturday see Michael McKeown come in for the unavailable Ross Colquhoun.

West started on the front foot and within a minute Arran Wearmouth was floored in the box by Rowbotham. Up stepped goal machine Nathan Fisher who blasts it down the middle when keeper Dean dives to his right. 1-0

Fairley has the first effort for Marske when he hits one from the right side of the box but it’s saved by Bland in the West goal.

West then get a series of three free kicks, the first one is easy cleared, Mitchell’s on target shot is pushed out for a corner and Bell’s second strike nearly sneaks in through the keepers legs but he manages to sit on the ball to stop it going in.

West went in at half time with a slender but deserved 1-0 lead with a much improved performance from a few days ago.

Second half started with both keepers pushing the ball into the woodwork so save goals. First it was Dean in the Marske goal who pushed a fine Mitchell free kick onto the bar on 53 minutes.

Again Shane Bland five minutes later earned his corn when he tipped Lee Brockbank’s shot onto the bar.

Brockbank was again in the thick of the action but this time he was the villain. On the hour Fisher worked himself into the box when a rash tackle by Brockbank brought West another penalty. This time Anthony Bell placed it high to the keepers left to double the score. 2-0.

Three minutes later Nathan Fisher gets his second to give Auckland a three goal lead. He picks the ball up and after a shimmy he curls one into the top corner for his 41st league goal of the season. 3-0.

As the fog drifted over Marske kept trying to get back into the game. Their only goal came on 73 minutes when Michael Roberts picked up a loose ball central to the goal and unleashed a shot which flew into the roof of the net. 3-1.

This goal gave Marske a lift and pushed West looking for a second, chances for Roberts and Butterworth went wide and Gott hit the bar.

West were happy to keep the ball and throw on a couple of substitute’s to run the clock down and doing the league double over them with two 3-1 score-lines.

West:- Bland. Morris. Parker. Cobain. Bell Mckeown. Francis (Doninger 84’). Dodds. Fisher. Mitchell. Wearmouth (Wood 89’).

Subs not used:- Wade. Conner. Fortune.

Goals:- Fisher 2 (2’pen. 64’). Bell (61’ pen).

Attendance:- 185

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.