Bridlington spark comeback to progress in FA Cup

West Auckland Town 1-3 Bridlington Town

Joe McFadyen’s brace helped Bridlington Town progress to the FA Cup Preliminary Round as they shocked West Auckland Town at the Wanted Stadium.

Nathan Fisher struck first inside ten minutes only for Lewis Dennison to equalise shortly after as a commanding second-half performance saw the Seasiders inflict West with their second defeat in the space of five days.

Brian Atkinson made two changes from Tuesday’s defeat to Ashington as Tom Flynn and Ross Colquhoun replaced Mark Bell and Alex Francis.

There was a minute’s silence impeccably observed before kick-off in memory of Richie Jordan, a former Sunderland RCA and Ryhope CW midfielder who tragically passed away this week.

West came out the blocks looking to shake off the disappointment of midweek’s result and got off to the ideal start when Adam Mitchell’s encouraging run from the halfway line enabled the midfielder to slip in Fisher, who precisely slotted past an advancing James Hitchcock.

However, the lead only lasted two minutes as a switch of play from Joe Danby saw Dennison in acres of space on the right, the defender drove forward into the 18-yard box before firing low beyond Flynn as the tempo of the tie was evenly balanced.

On 25 minutes, West crafted a good chance to restore theiradvantage via Anthony Bell’s near-post corner though Hitchcock was alert to deny Amar Purewal’s close range effort.

Hitchcock proved to be the busier keeper out the two in the first half and had to be on his toes once more to block Purewal’s flick on following Liam Hegarty’s intelligent delivery.

Seven minutes before half-time, West should have been ahead after a well-worked move as Mitchell’s through ball found Purewal out wide, the forward proceeded and laid it off for Fisher who could only flash his shot inches wide of Bridlington’s goal.

After a quiet opening to the second period, the Seasiders posed rare glimpses of danger and in the 70th minute, an encouraging run by player/manager Brett Agnew saw him hold off multiple challenges to set up McFadyen, who controlled it before remaining composed to roll the ball beyond Flynn.

And just three minutes later, West’s hopes of progressing were dashed as McFadyen added a second when he burst past Tom Price on the left-hand side to finish emphatically in the far corner and see the Northern Counties East League side advance to the next round of the FA Cup.

Next up – West return to Division One action as they host Newcastle Benfield on Tuesday evening in search of their first win of the season (19:30pm).

West Auckland – Flynn, Hegarty, Price, Cobain, Hunter, Mitchell, Colquhoun (Francis, 59), Bell (c), Fisher (Hillerby, 77), Purewal (Dowson, 77), Burnicle

Subs not used – Connor, Mitton, Turns

Goal – Fisher (10)

Bridlington Town – Hitchcock, Dennison, Danby, Oliver, Lewis, Papprill, Taylor, Norfolk (c), Walker (Agnew, 63), McFadyen, Broadley

Subs – Adams, Bulless, Gargett, Birley

Goals – Dennison (12), McFadyen (70, 73)

Referee – Jamie Rhodes

Attendance – 120

Report by Harry Connor Crowe

Picture by Andy Mitchell.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.