Ryhope CW v West Auckland

Ryhope CW 1 - 3 West Auckland
07 Aug 2018 - 19:30

Ryhope CW 1-3 West Auckland Town

West Auckland claimed their first victory of the season after a comprehensive 3-1 win against Ryhope CW.

James Ellis’ early strike opened the scoring for the hosts as Nathan Fisher’s brace either side of Amar Purewal’s goal earned West all three points at the Ryhope Recreation Park.

The result moves the visitors into 6th place in the Northern League Division One table meanwhile Ryhope CW drop down into 9th.

Following on from Saturday’s defeat to Dunston UTS, it was another slow start from West as Shane Bland made a good save inside four minutes to keep out Robbie Bird’s effort, moments later a Ryhope header just cleared the bar.

On 9 minutes Ryhope did take advantage of a lapse in concentration when Lee Chapman’s corner found its way into the feet of Ellis, who side footed home at the front post to give the hosts a perfect start.

After the early setback, West regrouped and began to take control in the 15th minute when Fisher’s strike forced a routine save from Jonathan Ball.

And just a few moments later, West were awarded a penalty when Anthony Bell was brought down inside the area and the captain Fisher stepped up to rifle the ball into the top right corner to bring the scores level.

The visitors then went ahead in the 22nd minute following a bursting run from Adam Mitchell, in which he delivered a great cross towards the back post for Amar Purewal who slotted it passed Ball for a precise finish.

Before the interval, West almost grabbed a third when Bell forced a fine reaction stop from Ball.

As the second-half resumed, it was more dominance from West and Fisher was immediately kept out by some exceptional reflexes from Ball, denying him with his left-foot.

Six minutes later, Ryhope had a rare sight at goal when Nathanial Skidmore fired his shot narrowly over the bar as the hosts were still looking for an equaliser.

However, the game was all but wrapped up inside the 73rd minute with Fisher converting the rebound for his second of the season after Ball had initially parried away Anthony’s Bell strike from the edge of the box.

In a flurry of late opportunities, Fisher was denied a hat trick at close range and Bell’s 25-yard strike was tipped just over the crossbar as West came close to scoring a fourth.

The referee brought the game to a close along with the visitors first three points of the campaign.

Next up for West is a trip to Washington for an FA Cup Extra Preliminary round clash on Saturday 11th August. (15:00 KO)

Ryhope CW – Ball, Nicholson, Gordon, Bott, Riding (c), Woods (Cocks ‘39’), Chapman (Weirs ‘62’), Skidmore, Home-Jackson (Rae ‘62’), Bird, Ellis

Subs not used – Lowerson, Lay

Goal – Ellis (7)

West Auckland – Bland, Hegarty, Cobain, Parker, Price, Snaith, Mitchell, Dodds (McKeown ‘85’), Fisher (c), Purewal, Bell

Subs not used – Doninger, Colquhoun, Francis, Wearmouth

Goals – Fisher (18, 73), Purewal (22)

Attendance – 106

Report by Harry Crowe