Washington v West Auckland

Washington 0 - 4 West Auckland
11 Aug 2018 - 15:00

Washington 0-4 West Auckland Town

Goals from Tom Portas, Amar Purewal and a brace from Nathan Fisher saw West Auckland ease to a 4-0 victory over Washington in the FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round.

Three first-half goals put the visitors in a commanding lead before Fisher converted a 68th minute penalty to set up a clash with either Newcastle Benfield or Stockton Town in the next round.

Prior to kick-off, the contest was already set to be a high stakes showdown as two brothers were set to collide, Nathan Cobain for Washington against Jamie Cobain for West in a battle for bragging rights.

It was a fast tempo start from both sides at the Nissan Sports and Leisure Complex and the first real opportunity fell to Washington’s Simon Ord who fired straight into the path of Shane Bland.

Within the 14th minute, Nick Allen decided to hit a long-range shot from the halfway line which just cleared the crossbar in what was an audacious effort.

West fought back five minutes later with a moment of sublime quality from Tom Portas, who unleashed a venomous right-footed shot from 28 yards out which sailed beyond Nathan Armin for a stunning finish.

Approaching the half-hour mark, there was a slight disappointment for West as Anthony Bell was brought down just outside the 18-yard box after a nasty challenge from John Dixon, which resulted in an ankle injury and had to be replaced by Arran Wearmouth.

The injury didn’t seem to affect the visitors too much however as West doubled their lead through Amar Purewal on the 40thminute following a great through ball from Jamie Cobain as he outmuscles Nathan to slot it underneath Armin.

And it got worse for Washington before the interval as Fisher added a third for West with a right-footed strike from the edge of the area after good pressing to win the ball back.

After the restart, West almost made it 4-0 when Liam Hegarty found Purewal only to be denied at close range.

The hosts struggled to keep possession throughout and rarely threatened Bland’s goal in the second-half.

On the 68th minute, West were awarded a penalty when Purewal was brought down inside the box by Nathan Cobain in which Fisher stepped up and sent Armin the wrong way to round off a professional performance.

Before the closing stages, Washington were reduced to 10 men when Ross Simpson was sent off for a foul on Adam Mitchell and further abusive language towards referee Kevin McKitterick as the visitors held on for the clean sheet to seal an impressive win.

West will travel to the winners of Newcastle Benfield and Stockton Town in the next round, they face a replay after a 1-1 draw yesterday.

Next up for West is an away trip to Blyth AFC on Wednesday evening (19:45).

Washington – Armin, Joyeux, Simpson, Dixon, Williams (c), Cobain, Thompson, Ord, Robinson, Allen, Gamblin

Subs – McWaters, Williams, Smith, Robson, Hanson, Wood, Akal

Bookings – Dixon (30), Simpson S/O (85)

West Auckland – Bland, Hegarty, Cobain, Colquhoun, Price(Parker ‘70’), Snaith (Francis ’76’), Mitchell, Portas, Fisher (c), Purewal, Bell (Wearmouth ‘31’)

Subs not used – Doninger, Dodds, Coulson, Morris

Goals – Portas (19), Purewal (40), Fisher (43, 68 pen)

Referee – Kevin McKitterick

Attendance – 102

Report by Harry Crowe