West Auckland v Hebburn Town

West Auckland 1 - 2 Hebburn Town
29 Sep 2018 - 15:00

West Auckland Town 1-2 Hebburn Town

Graeme Armstrong struck a last-minute winner as West Auckland suffered their third home defeat of the season.

Paul Chow gave Hebburn an early lead inside eight minutes before Denver Morris equalised with a crisp strike on the stroke of half-time. However, Armstrong’s decisive finish saw West’s miserable home form continue, picking up just seven points from six matches played at the Wanted Stadium.

The result sees West drop to fifth in the Northern League Division One table with goal difference keeping them above Consett, Sunderland RCA and Stockton Town.

Gary Forrest made two changes to the side which drew 1-1 against local rivals Bishop Auckland last weekend, with Danny Parker and Lewis Dodds coming in for Liam Hegarty and Michael McKeown.

Hebburn posed the first real threat within the sixth minute when Louis Storey flicked the ball through to Michael Richardson who curled a left-footed effort over the bar.

The visitors took advantage of their early dominance just two minutes later through Chow, who reacted quickest to Richardson’s header across the goal to fire in from six-yards out.

In the 25th minute, West started to add some pressure and almost equalised when Parker’s header from Adam Mitchell’s corner was cleared off the line by Luke Gilhespy.

Approaching half-time, West were in control and punished the Hornets poor defending, with a curling left-footed strike from Morris, who was in plenty of space on the edge of the area to bring the scores level.

In the 47th minute, Amar Purewal found himself with a golden opportunity to score, but he could only direct his shot just wide.

West almost went infront soon after when Nathan Fisher’s cross found Purewal at the back post, though he could only divert his header over the bar from just a few yards out.

Hebburn responded with a decent chance of their own, though Shane Bland did well to block Lee Kerr’s effort.

It was proving to be a tight contest, until the Hornets stung late on. Kerr played a long ball towards Armstrong who pounced onto a backwards header from Ross Colquhoun to beat Bland at his near post and extend West’s winless run to four matches.

Next up for West is a trip to the Belle View Stadium on Saturday to take on Consett (3pm).

West Auckland Town – Bland, Morris, Price, Cobain (Wearmouth,66), Parker, Colquhoun, Snaith, Dodds (McKeown, 82), Fisher (c), Purewal (Wood, 72), Mitchell

Subs not used – Hegarty, Francis

Goal – Morris (44)

Hebburn Town – Jennison, Groves, Wallace, Storey (c), Gilhespy, Donaghy, Richardson, Stephenson (Kerr, 45), Armstrong, Chow (Fairley, 63), Dibb-Fuller (Spence, 72)

Subs not used – Tumilty, Hubery

Goals – Chow (8), Armstrong (90+2)

Attendance – 221

Referee – Lewis Sandoe

Report by Harry Crowe

Photo by Andy Mitchell