Whitley Bay v West Auckland

Whitley Bay 0 - 2 West Auckland
18 Aug 2018 - 15:00

Whitley Bay 0-2 West Auckland Town

Two goals from Nathan Fisher saw West Auckland claim a 2-0 victory against Whitley Bay at Hillheads Park.

Fisher opened the scoring on the stroke of half-time after rounding Tom Flynn.

He added his second on 79 minutes, slotting the ball into the far corner to wrap up West’s second win of the season and a first clean sheet for Shane Bland.

Following on from the midweek defeat to Blyth AFC, Gary Forrest made one change with Mark Doninger replacing Lewis Dodds.

In front of a boisterous home crowd, it was a lively start from both sides.

Whitley Bay posed the first real threat at goal inside 18 minutes when Dan Taggart was left unmarked inside the 18-yard box only to drag his effort over the bar.

West responded four minutes later after a great delivery from Amar Purewal in which he picked out Adam Mitchell, who curled a right-footed shot onto the crossbar.

Thomas Price had a moment to forget on 28 minutes as he gifted the ball to Jack Foalle, who squandered his opportunity just wide of the post.

The hosts went close once again on 39 minutes through Luke Salmon after he cut inside and hit a crisp strike towards the near post which was dealt with comfortably by Bland.

On the stroke of half-time, West took advantage of some poor defending from Whitley Bay when Mark Doninger unintentionally kneed it forward into Fisher, who burst through on goal and rounded Flynn to place the ball into the empty net and give the visitors a slender lead at the break.

After the restart, Mitchell almost made it 2-0 following a great solo run in which he breezed past multiple players only to drag his shot inches wide of the post.

With West dominating possession, the hosts were struggling to get a foothold in the game and were forced to defend for large parts of the second-half.

Danny Parker even brought himself forward on 64 minutes and whipped in an audacious cross which was sent goalwards and had to be tipped over by Flynn.

Heading into the final 15 minutes, Whitley Bay pressed for an equaliser and forced some good saves from Bland, who was determined to keep his first clean sheet.

On 79 minutes, West sealed the victory as substitute Arran Wearmouth used some excellent footwork to get past three Whitley Bay players and guided the ball through to Fisher, who expertly slotted the ball beyond Flynn for his fifth goal of the season.

The result sees West move up into 7th place in the Northern League Division One table having played four matches.

Next up for West is a home encounter as they welcome Newcastle Benfield to the Wanted Stadium on Tuesday evening. (19:30)

Whitley Bay – Flynn, Redford, Cooper, Anderson (Redford, 70), Caines, Hassan, Martin, Glen-Ravenhill (c), Taggart (Ramsey, 70), Foalle (Anderson, 84), Salmon

Subs not used – Ross, Walton

West Auckland – Bland, Hegarty, Cobain, Snaith, Parker, Price, Purewal, Portas, Fisher (c) (Morris, 86), Doninger (Wearmouth, 69), Mitchell (Dodds, 80)

Subs not used – McKeown, Colquhoun

Goals – Fisher (45, 79)

Referee – Michael Burrows

Attendance – 307

Report by Harry Crowe